Society and technology
The society and technology interest group (soctech) is an informal interest group that we are starting up among UW-CSE students to promote awareness of various social computing issues, in both CSE and the UW. We plan to collaborate with other departments, with possible aims including the production of cross-departmental courses, lecture series, or white papers.
We're just getting started; we have a mailing list, soctech@cs. Here's the public list info page.
- soctech seminar: Weekly seminar/reading group held in CSE; open to all students
- The seminar is our primary current activity; see the individual quarter pages for more details.
We have also, at various times in the past and with varying levels of success, tried other things.
People and organizations
This is a non-exhaustive list of people and intra-UW institutions at UW who are interested in, or relevant to, society/technology topics. We're in contact with most of these people informally.
Current UW-CSE coordinator: Travis Kriplean
Current UW law coordinator: Jim Sfekas
Students (feel free to add your name here):
Past members of (and collaborators with) soctech@cs...
- Caroline Benner (Center for Internet Studies)
- UW Computer Science and Engineering students:
- Donald J Patterson aka Don
- UW Law students:
- Ben Dugan
- David Orange
We're in informal contact with most of these, or have been in the past. The extent to which we actually work with them varies widely.
- Center for Internet Studies
- UW School of Law