Society and technology
The society and technology interest group (soctech) is an informal interest group that we are starting up among UW-CSE students to promote awareness of various social computing issues, in both CSE and the UW. We plan to collaborate with other departments, with possible aims including the production of cross-departmental courses, lecture series, or white papers.
We're just getting started; we have a mailing list, soctech@cs. Here's the public list info page.
- soctech seminar: Weekly seminar/reading group held in CSE; open to all students
- The seminar is our primary current activity; see the individual quarter pages for more details.
Less active (left here mostly for archival purposes):
- society and technology briefings: to help bridge cross-disciplinary communication barriers, we plan to prepare a series of briefings.
- soctech brainstorming: use this page to jot down specific questions or issues that you'd like more information about, etc.
- soctech meeting notes
- technology-society speaker series: an interdisciplinary speaker series on technology and society
People and organizations
This is a non-exhaustive list of people and intra-UW institutions at UW who are interested in, or relevant to, society/technology topics. We're in contact with most of these people informally.
Current UW-CSE coordinator: Travis Kriplean
Current UW law coordinator: Jim Sfekas
Other students (feel free to add your name here):
Past members of (and collaborators with) soctech@cs...
- Caroline Benner (Center for Internet Studies)
- UW Computer Science and Engineering students:
- Donald J Patterson aka Don
- UW Law students:
- Ben Dugan
- David Orange
We're in informal contact with most of these, or have been in the past. The extent to which we actually work with them varies widely.
- Center for Internet Studies
- UW School of Law