Planning for the first retreat for the LIL Group!
Someone needs to take responsibility for each of:
- General coordination - sending email about times/places/what to pack/who's doing what/etc.
- Finding a date
- Finding a place to stay
- Finding options for outdoor activities
- Making a meal plan and shopping for lots of food
- Sorting out vehicles (who's driving, when; reserving a large vehicle from fleet services)
- Organizing presentations (checking out a projector and screen, sending short email about times and subject)
Finding a date
We are going October 11-13.
Finding a place
We're staying here: The Miramar House
Organizer note: We've had good luck with this site: http://www.vrbo.com
The general schedule will probably look something like the following:
|9-10||Everyone should be getting ready to go. Picking up equipment, vans, shopping, etc.||Wake up, cook breakfast.||Wake up, cook brunch|
|10-11||Ideally we'll leave around 10:30-11||Eat and presentations||Eat and presentations|
|11-12||Drive||more presentations||play on beach|
|12-1||Drive||Finish presentations and drive to hike||beachtime?|
|4-5||unpack, check out beach||hike and drive back|
|5-6||Cook dinner, hang out||Cook dinner, hang out|
|6-7||Eat dinner||Eat dinner|
|7-8||play boardgames||more presentations?||Arrive and prepare for 9am class!|
|8-9||have fire and s'mores||have fire and s'mores|
Sign up for a meal with one person or as a team:
|Fri. Dinner||<Your name here>|
|Sat Breakfast||Leila (and anyone else who would like to help??)|
|Sat Dinner||Cynthia (and anyone else interested)|
|Sunday Brunch||<Last one!>|
Enter what you'll need for what you're planning in the table alone. Try to include everything!
|Time Slot||Things to Buy|
|Sat Breakfast||TODO (eggs, ingredients for buttermilk pancakes, perhaps some fruit)|
We usually rent a van from UW Fleet Services, plus one or two people drive their own cars.
The steps for the UCar are:
- Get a budget number from Karla
- Make a UCar account: https://www.washington.edu/facilities/transportation/fleetservices/cms/forms/ucar
- Go to the reservation page and update your Driver Profile to add the budget number, if needed
- Make a new reservation: https://ucs.admin.washington.edu/motorpool/UWNetid/newReservation.asp
Organizer note: Everyone who might drive needs a UCar account; it's a good idea to have more than one possible driver. Sign up below!
|Driver Name||Completed Driver Training?||Completed Van Training?|
- Checking out a projector and portable screen from the department beforehand.
- This page has a link to the equipment reservation web: http://www.cs.washington.edu/lab/equipment/
- Picking it up from support. The "DaLite 70 inch screen" is the portable one that we used.
- We usually bring the lab projector.
- Making sure those objects + video cables, power cables, and relevant dongles get into vehicles.
- Sending out details about what people should prepare for.
- Getting everything back to the department when it's all done.
I've already checked out the DaLite screen and a projector from CSE. Sign up if you want to be responsible to pick them up on Friday morning before we leave, and drop them off on Monday when we get back. Also, please check to make sure we have appropriate dongles.
What to Pack
The places we stay are well-appointed; there's no need for things like sleeping bags. Everyone should, however, bring:
- Bathing suit / tshirt&shorts / whatever for water.
- Hat, gloves, jacket, hiking shoes/boots.
- Extra socks. (Hiking!)
- Usual overnight trip stuff -- clothes, toiletries, medication, etc.
- A backpack.
- Appropriate activity clothing (e.g., for snowshoeing, we specified "Gaiters, ski pants, or the most waterproof pants you have.")
- House shoes.
- Board games
It's often useful for someone to bring:
- Bug spray.
- Aloe vera gel.
- Road maps.
- Trail maps.
- NSAIDs and other minor first aid stuff.
Thanks to the RSE lab for donating most of their wiki page!!